I am an innovative, diligent, and versatile professional with expertise in system and database administration and networking technology. I am an effective communicator and speak the language of both technical and lay personnel.
- Linux (Red Hat & CentOS) / AIX (5.x) / Solaris (8 & 9) / Windows System Administration
- Apache / Tomcat / Jboss / Weblogic / WebSphere Administration
- System monitoring via Nagios and Netcool
- Oracle / Sybase Database Administration
- Network Administration
- UNIX scripting
- SQL, HTML
Broadridge Financial Services, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
System/Database Administrator, April 2008 Present
HDNet, Denver, Colorado
- Configure, build, and maintain Linux and AIX servers in a production, 24x7 environment. This includes installing and configuring the OS (Red Hat Linux and some CentOS), Jboss, apache, and web applications. The AIX servers are organized into LPARs with an IBM SAN. The UNIX environment interacts with a Tandem (HP Nonstop) environment.
- Install, configure, and maintain web-based applications for securities processing functions.
- System monitoring with Nagios, Watchcat (Perl-based), and Netcool systems.
- Maintain Sybase (primarily) and Oracle databases.
- Maintain a FreeBSD-based authentication appliance (TriCipher).
- Experience building and configuring IBM blade servers.
- Maintain Solaris 8 and 9 servers.
- Established Kickstart (Red Hat Linux) and DNS (dnsmasq) servers.
- Duties include a rotating, on-call schedule.
System/Database Administrator, July 2006 April 2008
Auto-trol Technology, Inc, Denver, Colorado
- Installed, configured, and maintained Oracle databases for a traffic, scheduling, and asset management application for a broadcast center.
- System administration of Linux and Windows workstations and servers.
- Network administration.
System/Database Administrator/Installer, April 2003 July 2006
Pacific Western Technologies, Denver Federal Center, Lakewood, Colorado
- Installed, configured, and integrated my company's web-based configuration management product with the Apache web server, Tomcat servlet container, IBM's WebSphere application server, and Oracle RDBMS. Platforms are Solaris, Windows, and HP-UX. The application is a highly customizable configuration management system with components for Electronic Document Management (EDM), Product Document Management (PDM), and Workflow. Most data is housed in an Oracle database back-end in a specialized schema, while some is contained in the filesystem.
- Duties included installation of the application and third party software at customer sites and within the company for in-house applications.
- Aided in the customization of web applications
- Analyzed customer sites to recommend solutions for optimization of performance and security.
- Familiar with the CMII model.
Independent Consulting, Denver Metro, Colorado
- System Administrator, August 2002 April 2003
- System and database administrator for a Casi-Rusco Picture Perfect access control system which provides physical security to all Western states for the Federal Government. The Casi-Rusco software runs on an AIX server with an Informix database back-end. Duties include AIX system administration, database administration and backups, and writing customized SQL reports.
- System administrator for two, redundant IBM RS/6000 servers running AIX v126.96.36.199. One server was in a warm backup mode for the Casi-Rusco access control system. The machines were in service 24x7.
- Researched replacements for a proprietary trouble ticket tracking system with a cross-platform application. Candidate solutions included Open Source applications such as PostgreSQL and PHP and vendor-supplied applications such as Filemaker Pro.
System Administrator / Database Administrator / Network Administrator, May, 2001 - Present
Applied Predictive Technologies, Arlington, Virginia
- Provided server, database, and network administration and security consulting for a local real estate venture. The project is a GIS application utilizing SuSE Linux, PostgreSQL, and Tomcat.
- Installed a server for a new "online community" to provide Internet mail (POP, IMAP, and webmail) and file storage. Further enhancements include chat services. The platform is Red Hat Linux with qmail and a webmail interface.
- Created a proposal for a large, local company to replace an existing MS Exchange installation with a linux-based solution. Evaluated SuSE's Email Server III, Stalker's Communigate Pro, and qmail for email component and Brown Bear Software's Calcium for calendaring component.
Oracle DBA / System Administrator / Network Administrator, May, 2000 - May, 2001
Software Technology, Inc. (STI), Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C.
- Administered Oracle 8i databases on Linux and Solaris platforms. Familiar with performance tuning, security, account creation and maintenance, backup and recovery. Optimized databases to interact with APT's software product aptAnalysis, a predictive modeling tool.
- Acquired, prepared for loading, and loaded into databases customer data. Preparation included writing UNIX scripts to automate organization of files and running Java modules to extract usable data.
- System Administrator for Linux workstations and servers. Administered company web server running Apache with Java servlets (functioned as front-end to Oracle databases). Evaluated Sendmail, qmail, and Stalker's Communigate Pro for company email system (selected CommuniGate Pro for security issues and integrated webmail feature).
- System Administrator for Windows workstations and servers (a mix of Windows 98, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 machines). Established and maintained the NT domain (user accounts, file sharing, etc). Installed and maintained SQL Server, IIS, and Cold Fusion on NT servers. Evaluated BIND vs Windows DNS for internal name servers. Selected JH Software's SimpleDNS for Windows for its simplicity and ease of administration.
- Network Administrator. Designed and maintained APT's internal network. Maintained firewall and provided security. Implemented a dial-up remote access server. Evaluated OpenBSD and Linux variants for firewall and VPN. Chose Coyote Linux for firewall for its simplicity and ease of administration.
Engineer IV / Oracle DBA, July, 1998 - May, 2000
DIGEX Inc., Beltsville, Maryland
- Implemented and maintained a secure web interface to the Naval Research Laboratory's financial reporting system using Oracle Application Server and Developer Server.
- Administered Oracle 8 and 8i databases on Digital UNIX and Windows NT platforms for the financial division.
- Familiar with Oracle's Designer 2000 and Developer 2000 tools.
- Established a PVCS repository for the forms and reports created by the development team.
- Utilized Big Brother monitoring tool on Linux platforms to oversee the health of the web servers.
- Experienced using Legato to backup and restore database, system, and networked PC files.
- Implemented a Netscape Roaming Access server based on MS Internet Information Server (IIS).
- Established a central repository of information (a knowledge base) on IIS and coded the HTML.
- Assistant Windows NT systems administrator and assistant MS Exchange administrator.
Senior Sales Engineer, July, 1996 - July, 1998
Hughes STX Corporation, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C. / Landover, Maryland
- Promoted to Senior Sales Engineer providing pre-sales technical support for one of the largest Internet providers.
- Teamed with sales to assess, identify, and recommend hardware, software, and technical specifications to meet customer Internet, electronic mail, and security requirements.
- Consulted with customers to plan security initiatives that protect data and data communications. Selected appropriate products including firewalls from Checkpoint, Raptor Eagle, and Cisco PIX, and diverse third party enhancements.
- Procured, configured, installed, and maintained hardware and software for over 80 Internet sales representatives.
Atlantic Research Corporation (ARC) Defense Systems, Inc., Dumfries, Virginia
- Configuration Management (CM) Engineer, July, 1991 - July, 1996
- Software Engineering Tools Administrator for the primary contractor of NASA's Earth Observing System (EOS) for Release B.
- Lead Programmer in maintaining CASE, requirements database, and CM tools including Software through Pictures/Object Management Technique (StP/OMT), Requirements Traceability Management (RTM), and ClearCase.
- Performed status accounting and conducted system builds and delivered completed software to the operational platforms for the Midcourse Space Experiment (MSX) project.
- Assisted in the design of the MSX system as administrator for StP.
- Provided scientific analysis support for VISTA, CLOUDS, and other projects programming in data visualization software such as Interactive Data Language (IDL).
Consultant, July, 1988 - July, 1991
TECHNICAL SKILLS, CURRENT AND RECENT
- Performed tasks in System Engineering and other disciplines in the acquisition of various Marine Corps programs.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, PREVIOUS
- Databases: Oracle RDBMS, Sybase, FileMaker Pro, MySQL.
- Software: Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), phpMyAdmin, TOAD (Tool for Oracle Application Development), M$ Office, Visio, and other productivity software, and various mail packages.
- Operating Systems: UNIX (Solaris and AIX), Linux, Windows/Windows Server, and MacOS.
- Internet Technology: Apache, Jboss application server, Tomcat servlet container, WebSphere application server, CommuniGate Pro, sendmail, FTP servers, Internet routing and IP addressing, Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and other routing protocols, security issues including SSL certificates, proxy servers, firewalls, VPNs, and encryption.
- Hardware: x86, UNIX (Sun and IBM), Macintosh, hubs, switches, and LAN and WAN technology.
- Languages: Scripting (primarily bash), HTML, and SQL.
- Databases: PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Informix, Ingres.
- Software: IDL, StP, ClearCase for UNIX platforms, Code Management System (CMS) and Module Management System (MMS) for VAX/VMS, Revision Control System (RCS) for UNIX, and RTM.
- Operating Systems: UNIX (DEC UNIX and HP-UX) and VAX/VMS.
- Internet Technology: Internet Information Server (IIS), Oracle Application Server (OAS), qmail.
- Hardware: UNIX (DEC and SGI), Cisco routers, and CSU/DSU.
- Presented with the Hughes STX Peer Award for developing and implementing all CM tools and procedures, 1994.
- Received the Hughes STX Group Award for outstanding achievement in the preparation and presentation of the MSX Critical Design Review, 1992.
- Presented with the Significant Contribution Award for exemplary performance in the training and instruction of the Marine Corps' Intelligence Analysis System (IAS) Prototype, ARC, 1990.
- Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia, B.S., Physics, 1987
- Raptor NetGuard and NetMaster Certification Courses, 1998
- Introduction to Cisco Router Configuration, Chesapeake Consultants, 1998
- Introduction to Oracle: SQL and PL/SQL, Oracle Education, 1998
- Oracle8 Database Administration, Oracle Education, 1998
- Commissioned officer in the U.S. Air Force Reserves, 1987-1995
- Previously held a Secret clearance.